Thursday, June 23, 2011

Orientation, Long White Coats, and House Pictures...

Orientation has been going well this week. It has been pretty boring and repetitive, but, in Andrew's words, that is just because we have been at the adult hospital for most of the week ;). From tomorrow on, though, we will only be at the Children's hospital. So maybe things will get a little more fun now. We have met many of our fellow Pediatric Interns [first year residents/doctors] and everyone is very friendly. I think we will make some good friends.
So far, the highlights of orientation week have been: (1) Learning that we were able to read each others PPD's (TB skin tests) and sign off on the paperwork [we are doctors now...but I think we still forget sometimes ;) ]. I suppose this was our first official act as doctors. (2) Getting our official hospital badges...they say "Dr. Dodgen". Kind of cool :). (3) Finally receiving our long white coats. Medical students wear short white coats to distinguish the fact that they are not actually Physicians. So getting these is sort of a milestone. They did not come with our names embroidered on them....so Andrew was sad about that. But, we will take care of that in a few months hopefully. See below for a picture of Dr. Andrew... :)
I think he likes it :).
Also, since I've obviously learned how to post pictures, I can now start to post house pictures. Everything in the house is not in order yet. But I will share pictures as rooms get done (or at least close to done). Below are pictures of the 'eat in' part of the eat in Kitchen. The table was hand-made from scratch by my talented husband and brother-- amazing, right? The chairs came from my Great Great Aunt's house; my Mom and I reupholstered them and Andrew's Mom and I refinished them. The curtains are a custom project by my Mom and I [mostly Mom :)]. I love this little space because of the personal meaning of each piece in it!
- Close up of the table top...I love, love the different types of wood!
- Picture of half of the Kitchen. I still have some empty space to fill in the cabinets...yay! The Chalkboard on the wall is the only homemade part of this room, so far :).
Ok...I will post more soon. We hope you are all doing well. We love and miss you very much!
-Amber [and Andrew]

2 comments:

  1. Sis's chairs look great! I'm jealous, I want something of hers for my house someday.... :) Glad you are doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kitchen Amber. Andrew did an amazing job on the table. Can't wait to see more house pics and hear more about your adventures at the children's hospital!

    ReplyDelete